WV Public Broadcasting Staff
Most Active Stories
- Map: Where West Virginia Mine Operators Owe Millions in Delinquent Fines
- Local Food, Local Places Grants Awarded, Eight Appalachian Winners
- Motives Behind Mon. Co. Shootings Unfolding, Victims Identified
- Clinical Pharmacologist Left Duke to Conduct World-Class Research at WVU
- Joy to the World Tickets On Sale
Fri December 13, 2013
Close Your Eyes and Imagine Christmases Past
Here's a glimpse into Christmases past -
Fayetteville actress, playwright, and historian Karen Vuranch brings us a lovely passage from a piece written by Richard Matteson called Christmas in the Appalachian Mountains.
It's a time when snow glistened across the roof of a small log cabin perched on a rocky slope, and smoke swirled out of a chimney from the old pot-bellied stove.
Inside the caroling has begun with Grandpa on banjo and Aunt Mary on fiddle. The toys are homemade, whittled from oak and decorated with corn silk and hickory stain.
It's Christmas in the Appalachian Mountains!
Radio Holiday Specials
Special holiday programs on WV PBS & WV PBS.2
A dramatic radio series