WV Public Broadcasting Staff
Most Active Stories
- Sen. Manchin Calls Concealed Carry Permit Repeal 'Irresponsible', 'Dangerous'
- Breakfast As Politics: W.Va. Dems Raise Money for Food Bank After Canceled Conservative Fundraiser
- The 2015 Legislature's Final Hours
- What's Next, Clay County?—Nonstop Journey to a Better Tomorrow
- Pipeline Company Threatens Legal Action Against Survey Holdouts
Mon November 4, 2013
Mingo seeks new prosecutor, commissioner
The Mingo County Commission is expected to name a new county prosecutor and county commissioner this week.
Former prosecutor Michael Sparks and former Commissioner David Baisden resigned in October after they were charged in separate cases stemming from a corruption probe.
WSAZ-TV reports that the commission interviewed candidates to replace Sparks and Baisden on Monday. Commissioners plan to name a new prosecutor and magistrate at their meeting on Wednesday.
Sparks is accused in a scheme to protect Sheriff Eugene Crum from revelations he'd bought drugs. Drum died in April in an unrelated shooting.
Baisden pleaded guilty in October to a federal extortion charge.
A Nov. 18 plea hearing is set for Sparks.