WV Public Broadcasting Staff
Most Active Stories
- Local Food, Local Places Grants Awarded, Eight Appalachian Winners
- Motives Behind Mon. Co. Shootings Unfolding, Victims Identified
- Clinical Pharmacologist Left Duke to Conduct World-Class Research at WVU
- Interactive Map: West Virginia Mine Operator Delinquent Fines by County
- W.Va. Poet: “Appalachian Blackface” Story of 2014 Election Cycle
Mon November 4, 2013
Mingo seeks new prosecutor, commissioner
The Mingo County Commission is expected to name a new county prosecutor and county commissioner this week.
Former prosecutor Michael Sparks and former Commissioner David Baisden resigned in October after they were charged in separate cases stemming from a corruption probe.
WSAZ-TV reports that the commission interviewed candidates to replace Sparks and Baisden on Monday. Commissioners plan to name a new prosecutor and magistrate at their meeting on Wednesday.
Sparks is accused in a scheme to protect Sheriff Eugene Crum from revelations he'd bought drugs. Drum died in April in an unrelated shooting.
Baisden pleaded guilty in October to a federal extortion charge.
A Nov. 18 plea hearing is set for Sparks.