WV Public Broadcasting Staff
Most Active Stories
- Racist Hate Crime Shakes Hillsboro Community into Action to Spread Message of Tolerance
- W.Va. Nurse Develops New Blood Test to Identify What Kind of Stroke You’re Having
- Part I: Is There Something in the Water, Southern W.Va.?
- 'To Hell With You' - A West Virginian's Raw Response to Water Crisis Goes Viral
- WATCH: Gov. Tomblin's 2015 State of the State Address
Mon November 4, 2013
Mingo seeks new prosecutor, commissioner
The Mingo County Commission is expected to name a new county prosecutor and county commissioner this week.
Former prosecutor Michael Sparks and former Commissioner David Baisden resigned in October after they were charged in separate cases stemming from a corruption probe.
WSAZ-TV reports that the commission interviewed candidates to replace Sparks and Baisden on Monday. Commissioners plan to name a new prosecutor and magistrate at their meeting on Wednesday.
Sparks is accused in a scheme to protect Sheriff Eugene Crum from revelations he'd bought drugs. Drum died in April in an unrelated shooting.
Baisden pleaded guilty in October to a federal extortion charge.
A Nov. 18 plea hearing is set for Sparks.