Jessica Lilly Published

Weather Moves Water Distribution Indoors in Greenbrier County

Update Monday January 26, 2015 at 9:11 p.m. 

  Water samples taken from the Greenbrier River did not show dangerous levels of diesel, the Charleston Gazette is reporting.

This means the water intakes will be turned back on to refill the tanks and restore water pressure.

Earlier today, Al Whitaker said that after the intakes are turned on, residents will be boil water advisory for at least three days.

The pending weather is moving water distribution sites in Greenbrier County indoors. About 12,000 residents in the Lewisburg area don’t have access to water in their homes. Residents in need of water should bring their own containers to fill up at the following sites:

Monday Until 7 p.m.

Fairlea, W.Va. – West Virginia State Fairgrounds

Ronceverte, W.Va. – Island Park 

Tuesday 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.

Ronceverte, W.Va. – Island Park

National Guard Armory close to Lewisburg Airport on Industrial Drive

Weather Moves Distribution Center

Al Whitaker, Director of Homeland Security and Emergency Management for Greenbrier County, says the weather is pushing distribution indoors.

The two tanks at the West Virginia State Fairgrounds are being moved to the National Guard Armory, which sits close to the Lewisburg Airport on Industrial Drive.

Greenbrier residents without drinking water should bring their own containers to the Armory beginning Tuesday at 7 a.m. Water will be distributed from 7 in the morning until 7 at night throughout the crisis.

Folks can also find water at Island Park in Ronceverte from 7 a.m. until 7 p.m., again bring your own containers.

Whitaker says he’s received donations from organizations in Kentucky, North Carolina, and Virginia as well as the Red Cross.

The Lewisburg Water Department intakes was shut down after a truck spilled diesel into Anthony Creek, a tributary to the Greenbrier River. The intakes were shut down while  officials wait on water quality tests from a laboratory. If the tests are clean, the intakes will reopen. After pumping begins, it’s expected to take 24 hours for the water to reach homes.

Whitaker says residents can expect a boil water advisory of 3 days when service is restored.