Home » About Us » Job Postings » Assistant IT Manager
Assistant IT Manager
Job Opening – Information Technology Specialist:
West Virginia Public Broadcasting, an award-winning statewide public media organization, is seeking a highly motivated individual to join our team as an Assistant Information Technology (IT) Manager. The Assistant IT Manager will help our IT Manager oversee projects and day-to-day operations of a small IT team supporting a large, complicated network, server, and desktop deployment which supports our media production and broadcasting efforts.
Salary is commensurate with experience. This is a Full-Time, Exempt (40 hours/week, M-F) position, with some call outs when needed. Benefits offered—medical, dental, eye, and state retirement.
Location: Will be based out of the Charleston, WV HQ Office. Some travel will be required between offices in Beckley and Morgantown.
Travel: All travel will be done in a provided state vehicle when travel is necessary. You may travel in your personal vehicle and be reimbursed for the mileage.
Key Attributes for Candidates:
- Self-Motivated – Ability to complete tasks and assignments with little or no oversight. Capable of determining task details given a broad assignment. Performs to best of ability without external pressure.
- Organized – Capable of maintaining complicated systems and configurations. Understands the value of documenting systems, configurations, and ongoing changes. Skilled at planning and executing complicated software and hardware integrations.
- Problem Solver – Ability to assimilate and analyze information from multiple sources to solve complex problems. Clear, logical thinker with a structured approach to problem solving.
- Disciplined – Conscientious worker. Can execute tedious tasks without becoming sidetracked or taking short cuts. Able to oversee projects from planning to completion within appropriate time frames.
- Good Communicator – Able to discuss complex issues with both technical and non-technical individuals in a manner that is comprehensible to everyone involved. Can communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Leader – Able to direct personnel and oversee projects in a positive and motivational manner.
Required Skills and Training:
General Skills – Applicant must be proficient in the following areas:
- Installation and maintenance of Microsoft Windows Server operating systems
- Proficient in Active Directory, Azure, and Group Policy
- Installation and maintenance of Network Attached Storage (NAS) devices
- Networking fundamentals
- Backup and disaster recovery policies and solutions
- Maintaining and upgrading server hardware
- Firewall configuration and maintenance, experience with Sophos XG firewalls a plus
- Knowledge of storage systems, devices, and solutions
- Desktop systems, Mac and Windows
- Helpdesk and staff support
- Project development, design, implementation, and oversight in all the above areas
- Valid Drivers License
Specific Skills – Applicant must be able to independently perform the following:
- Install and maintain a multi-node Windows Server 2016 Cluster
- Connect to multiple subnets
- Employ NIC teaming on cluster
- Program Link Aggregation (LAG) on network switches
- Use Ethernet trunking on cluster to switch connections
- Use an Enterprise NAS unit as primary storage for the cluster
- Configure high availability
- Implement backup and disaster recovery policies and procedures for the cluster
- Configure Windows Cluster as a Hyper-V host
- Build and configure virtual machines
- Transfer virtual machines from one system to another
- Backup / restore virtual machines
- Build a new storage network
- Configure multiple Enterprise NAS units to build a new storage network
- Analyze and document current storage systems to move files / information from current storage systems to new storage network
- Analyze and choose disaster recovery and backup solutions – implement on new storage network
- Project development
- Analyze existing equipment and infrastructure to determine areas of improvement
- Develop projects to address areas for improvement
- Design and outline project: include deadlines and steps to achieve goals
- Implement project:
- Order equipment as required
- Determine most effective use of staff and assign project-related tasks
- Track progress and provide additional help, training, instruction, and suggestions to staff
- Monitor orders and adjust deadlines when necessary
- Provide status reports to upper management
Experience – Applicant should have:
- 3 years’ experience as an Information Technology technician in a production, non-support environment
- 1 years’ experience in the following areas:
- Windows Servers:
- Installation and maintenance of the Windows Server operating system
- Installation and configuration of the following roles: web / ftp server, Distributed File System (DFS), Clustering, and Hyper-V
- Switch and router configuration including IP subnetting
- Installation and maintenance of NAS devices
- Installation and maintenance of Storage networks
- Configuration and maintenance of:
- Microsoft Distributed File System (DFS)
- Microsoft DFS Replication (DFS-R)
- Microsoft Storage Replication (SR)
- 1 years’ experience in a supervisory IT position
Education – Applicant should have a four-year college degree in Information Systems or a related field.
Certifications – the following certifications are highly desirable:
- Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) – Routing and Switching
- Microsoft Storage and High Availability with Windows Server, course MS-10971
- Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate (MCSA) Windows Server 2012 (or later)
Substitutions – Experience may be substituted for education or certification as follows:
- One year of appropriate experience may substitute for one year of education
- Two years of appropriate experience may substitute for a listed certification
Applicants should email a resume to KDodd@wvpublic.org.