WV Public Broadcasting Staff
Most Active Stories
- W.Va. BOE: Logan Co. Schools in Jeopardy of Takeover
- Haunting Banjo Tune Inspired by Coal Miner's Struggle
- Protecting the Boss: W.Va. Reservists Deploying to Afghanistan as Personal Security Detail
- W.Va. GOP Wants Election Changes in Possible Manchin Gubernatorial Bid
- West Virginia Army Reservists Deploying to Afghanistan and Kosovo
Sun March 16, 2014
WVU Rifle Team Wins NCAA Championship
National Champs again! The No. 1-ranked West Virginia University rifle team won its 16th NCAA Championship in Murray, Ky., Friday.
The Mountaineers won the championship last year too, and it’s the third win under coach Jon Hammond. WVU’s first title under Hammond came in 2009. The rifle team is the only WVU program to win an NCAA Championship.
Hammond says it was a relaxed win, and that his team was confident, focused, and capable. He also expects good things next year as all five shooters that shot at this year’s championship will return.
WVU, the five-time reigning Great American Rifle Conference (GARC) champions, finished the 2013-14 campaign with a 10-0 overall record and a 7-0 conference mark.
Seven Mountaineers earned a combined 10 National Rifle Association All-America awards, while four Mountaineers were named to the College Rifle Coaches’ Association (CRCA) All-America Teams.
Festival of Ideas
Arts & Culture