WV Public Broadcasting Staff
Most Active Stories
- Map: Where West Virginia Mine Operators Owe Millions in Delinquent Fines
- Industry Backed Bill Could Force Mineral Owners to Sell
- Joy to the World Tickets On Sale
- Moundsville Native Is A Pioneering Astrobiophysicist
- Appalachian Holiday Traditions of Food and Spirits, With Recipes on How to Cook with Bourbon, & More
Fri June 27, 2014
WVU President Gee Continues Statewide Tour
West Virginia University President E. Gordon Gee is on the road, part of his statewide 55-county tour.
Thursday, Gee made stops in Raleigh, Mercer and Summers counties. He met with WVU alumni and local business leaders. He traveled with the musket-packing Mountaineer mascot, Michael Garcia.
Gee said he's seen many changes at WVU since he left the university three decades ago during his first stint as president. He says the land-grant university has expanded its profile to a player on the world stage.
The Register Herald reports Gee said the university now has students from 110 countries speaking 100 different languages.
Gee also stressed the importance of keeping the state's young people in West Virginia.
Gee said he has visited 31 counties. The tour ends in August.