WV Public Broadcasting Staff
Covering the Spill
Mon March 31, 2014
WVU Panel on Elk River Chemical Spill Broadcast As Part of 'West Virginia Talks'
Last week, West Virginia University's P.I. Reed School of Journalism held a panel on how West Virginia media covered the January 9 chemical spill by Freedom Industries and the subsequent water crisis that affected some 300,000 West Virginians across nine counties.
The event, billed as “From Beats to Tweets: Media Coverage of the Elk River Spill," gave reporters a chance to provide insight on their coverage of the spill and its aftermath--from using modern technology like Twitter to old-fashioned reporting techniques. WVU School of Journalism professor and former West Virginia Public Broadcasting reporter Emily Corio moderated the panel.
- Ashton Marra, Statehouse Reporter for West Virginia Public Broadcasting
- Dave Boucher, Statehouse Reporter for The Charleston Daily Mail
- David Gutman, Reporter for The Charleston Gazette
- April Kaull, News Anchor for WOWK-TV
- Roger May, Documentary Photographer Commissioned by The Guardian
- Dr. Eric Waggoner, Professor of Literature and Cultural Studies at West Virginia Wesleyan College