WV Public Broadcasting Staff
Most Active Stories
- Local Food, Local Places Grants Awarded, Eight Appalachian Winners
- Motives Behind Mon. Co. Shootings Unfolding, Victims Identified
- Map: Where West Virginia Mine Operators Owe Millions in Delinquent Fines
- Clinical Pharmacologist Left Duke to Conduct World-Class Research at WVU
- W.Va. Poet: “Appalachian Blackface” Story of 2014 Election Cycle
Sun January 26, 2014
WVSU President's Expenses Include NFL Tickets, Alcohol
The State Auditor's Office recently flagged as suspicious charges on a state travel card that included Chicago Bears football tickets, alcohol and other purchases that typically aren't allowed.
The Charleston Gazette says these purchases were allowed because the travel card belonged to West Virginia State University President Brian Hemphill.
Colleges are among agencies that are exempt from state travel and purchasing policies.
West Virginia State Board of Governors chairman Tom Susman says he doesn't believe Hemphill did anything wrong. He says the board gave Hemphill the travel card so he could cultivate donors.
To his knowledge, Hemphill says no policy was violated. But he will make any appropriate changes to the system.