WV Public Broadcasting Staff
Most Active Stories
- Map: Where West Virginia Mine Operators Owe Millions in Delinquent Fines
- Industry Backed Bill Could Force Mineral Owners to Sell
- Joy to the World Tickets On Sale
- Moundsville Native Is A Pioneering Astrobiophysicist
- Appalachian Holiday Traditions of Food and Spirits, With Recipes on How to Cook with Bourbon, & More
Mon April 28, 2014
W.Va. Spill Company: Fees 'Appear to be Large'
Freedom filed for bankruptcy eight days after its tank leaked chemicals into the water supply for 300,000 people. Dozens of businesses and individuals sued Freedom, but the lawsuits are frozen during bankruptcy proceedings. Restaurants filed many of the suits, claiming they lost profits amid a water-use ban lasting four to 10 days. Welch wrote that some contracted work helped minimize other costs.