WV Public Broadcasting Staff
Most Active Stories
- Racist Hate Crime Shakes Hillsboro Community into Action to Spread Message of Tolerance
- W.Va. Nurse Develops New Blood Test to Identify What Kind of Stroke You’re Having
- Part I: Is There Something in the Water, Southern W.Va.?
- WATCH: Gov. Tomblin's 2015 State of the State Address
- Hog Farming on Inactive Mountaintop Removal Sites Could Bring More Jobs to Southern W.Va.
Wed April 23, 2014
W.Va. School Removes Bible Verse from Gym, Shirts
Wood County school officials have removed a Bible verse from Parkersburg South High School's gymnasium and the school wrestling team's website.
The team's use of Philippians 4:13 drew a complaint earlier this month from the Wisconsin-based Freedom from Religion Foundation. The verse states, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."
Wood County Superintendent Pat Law says the verse has been removed from the team's website, which linked to the school's website. The verse also was painted above the doors to the wrestling room in the gym and appeared on the team's T-shirts. Law says the verse in the gym was painted over yesterday. The foundation's attorney, Patrick Elliott, says public schools can't endorse religion.