WV Public Broadcasting Staff
Most Active Stories
- Sen. Manchin Calls Concealed Carry Permit Repeal 'Irresponsible', 'Dangerous'
- Breakfast As Politics: W.Va. Dems Raise Money for Food Bank After Canceled Conservative Fundraiser
- The 2015 Legislature's Final Hours
- What's Next, Clay County?—Nonstop Journey to a Better Tomorrow
- Pipeline Company Threatens Legal Action Against Survey Holdouts
Wed April 23, 2014
W.Va. School Removes Bible Verse from Gym, Shirts
Wood County school officials have removed a Bible verse from Parkersburg South High School's gymnasium and the school wrestling team's website.
The team's use of Philippians 4:13 drew a complaint earlier this month from the Wisconsin-based Freedom from Religion Foundation. The verse states, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."
Wood County Superintendent Pat Law says the verse has been removed from the team's website, which linked to the school's website. The verse also was painted above the doors to the wrestling room in the gym and appeared on the team's T-shirts. Law says the verse in the gym was painted over yesterday. The foundation's attorney, Patrick Elliott, says public schools can't endorse religion.