WV Public Broadcasting Staff
Most Active Stories
- Map: Where West Virginia Mine Operators Owe Millions in Delinquent Fines
- Industry Backed Bill Could Force Mineral Owners to Sell
- Joy to the World Tickets On Sale
- Moundsville Native Is A Pioneering Astrobiophysicist
- Appalachian Holiday Traditions of Food and Spirits, With Recipes on How to Cook with Bourbon, & More
Tue March 25, 2014
Who Shall Smite the Scorpion?
Many things are taught on Robert Fripp's guitar courses, but one cannot imagine that defensive tactics against scorpions is one of them. Saints preserve us!
I had to point out this most unexpected entry in the RF diary:
22.32 As I was sitting at the computer in my room, a loud crack! as something fell from the ceiling and bounced off the desk or Mac. Looking down to see what this might be – a black scorpion on my left trouser leg just below the knee. It walked around to the back of my leg, where I couldn’t see it. Standing and slowly walking backwards out of the door, picking up a shoe as I went, fortunately finding Aileen sitting on the bench outside. I gave her the shoe, and with loud and expressive shouts Aileen rapidly dispatched the scorpion it by knocking it from my leg, then giving it a hefty hammering with the shoe.
This a first, in almost twenty-nine years of courses.