WV Public Broadcasting Staff
Most Active Stories
- Improvised Explosive Devices, Chickens, Marijuana Found in I-79 Crash
- Here's the Department of Defense Equipment that West Virginia's Police Have Received Since 2006
- Hear Tim O'Brien and Darrell Scott Play "It All Comes Down to Love" Live on Mountain Stage
- $250,000 Painting Appraised at Antiques Roadshow Charleston
- Momentum Gathers For The West's Response To Russia
Fri April 11, 2014
Tori Amos Covers Nirvana on 1992 Mountain Stage Performance
On Thursday April 10 the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inducted seminal grunge rockers Nirvana into its 2014 class. The next morning the internet was abuzz about the female-led performances that honored the group’s late front-man Kurt Cobain(1967-1994). Reunited Nirvana members Dave Grohl and Krist Novoselic were joined on stage by Joan Jett, Kim Gordon, St. Vincent and Lorde to pay homage to the late grunge-music icon.
So we’re taking this moment to look back on a performance- recorded two years prior to Cobain's death- that Mountain Stage host Larry Groce called "enthralling."
This powerful rendition of “Smells Like Teen Spirit,” was recorded September 20, 1992, by another popular female singer, songwriter and pianist, Tori Amos.
If you appreciate hearing these gems from our ARCHIVE, consider a donation to help us digitize it entirely so the world can hear it.
From the Archives