WV Public Broadcasting Staff
Most Active Stories
- After Living Next to Drilling Activity, 100 W.Va. Residents Sue Companies
- Industry Backed Bill Could Force Mineral Owners to Sell
- Map: Where West Virginia Mine Operators Owe Millions in Delinquent Fines
- More Fracking Slated in Morgantown
- Appalachian Holiday Traditions of Food and Spirits, With Recipes on How to Cook with Bourbon, & More
Fri April 11, 2014
Tori Amos Covers Nirvana on 1992 Mountain Stage Performance
On Thursday April 10 the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inducted seminal grunge rockers Nirvana into its 2014 class. The next morning the internet was abuzz about the female-led performances that honored the group’s late front-man Kurt Cobain(1967-1994). Reunited Nirvana members Dave Grohl and Krist Novoselic were joined on stage by Joan Jett, Kim Gordon, St. Vincent and Lorde to pay homage to the late grunge-music icon.
So we’re taking this moment to look back on a performance- recorded two years prior to Cobain's death- that Mountain Stage host Larry Groce called "enthralling."
This powerful rendition of “Smells Like Teen Spirit,” was recorded September 20, 1992, by another popular female singer, songwriter and pianist, Tori Amos.
If you appreciate hearing these gems from our ARCHIVE, consider a donation to help us digitize it entirely so the world can hear it.
From the Archives