WV Public Broadcasting Staff
Most Active Stories
- After Living Next to Drilling Activity, 100 W.Va. Residents Sue Companies
- Industry Backed Bill Could Force Mineral Owners to Sell
- More Fracking Slated in Morgantown
- Appalachian Holiday Traditions of Food and Spirits, With Recipes on How to Cook with Bourbon, & More
- Mountain Stage After Midnight- December 13 & 14
Larry Groce Speaks About Writing Songs
Mon March 17, 2014
Mountain Stage Host Featured Speaker at Creators Program Workshop
Larry Groce, the host and artistic director of Mountain Stage is speaking at the annual Creators Program Workshop tomorrow at the West Virginia State University (WVSU) Economic Development Center (EDC) from 7:15 to 8:30 p.m. His topic is "What Songs Do."
The center is located at 1506 Kanawha Blvd. W. in Charleston. The event is free but registration is requested. To register, visit edcwvstateu.eventbrite.com.
As the artistic director of Mountain Stage, Groce has listened to thousands of songs over the past 30 years looking for artists to feature on the program. He plans to feature some of his favorite examples during his presentation.
“If a picture is worth a thousand words, a song is worth a thousand pictures," said Groce. “The right words set to the right music can express profound truth in three minutes. Sometimes the hymn can be more powerful than the sermon."