WV Public Broadcasting Staff
Most Active Stories
- After Living Next to Drilling Activity, 100 W.Va. Residents Sue Companies
- Industry Backed Bill Could Force Mineral Owners to Sell
- More Fracking Slated in Morgantown
- Appalachian Holiday Traditions of Food and Spirits, With Recipes on How to Cook with Bourbon, & More
- Mountain Stage After Midnight- December 13 & 14
Mon March 24, 2014
Logan Co. Mountain Top Mine Permit Revocation Stands
The Supreme Court has rejected an appeal from a coal company fighting to reinstate a water pollution permit for a massive West Virginia strip mine.
The justices say they will not disturb a federal appeals court ruling that the Environmental Protection Agency acted within its authority in 2011 when it retroactively vetoed a permit issued four years earlier by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.
St. Louis-based Arch Coal Inc. and its Mingo Logan Coal Co. subsidiary challenged the appellate ruling concerning the mountaintop removal coal mine in West Logan County.
The case now goes back to a federal district court in Washington.
West Virginia Morning
Future of Coal