WV Public Broadcasting Staff
Most Active Stories
- Local Food, Local Places Grants Awarded, Eight Appalachian Winners
- Motives Behind Mon. Co. Shootings Unfolding, Victims Identified
- Map: Where West Virginia Mine Operators Owe Millions in Delinquent Fines
- Clinical Pharmacologist Left Duke to Conduct World-Class Research at WVU
- W.Va. Poet: “Appalachian Blackface” Story of 2014 Election Cycle
Tue February 18, 2014
Kanawha Schools to Close Three Daycare Facilities
Kanawha County Schools plans to close three daycare facilities in March.
Executive director of elementary education Bob Calhoun attributes the closures to funding cuts. He says that the facilities have lost about $60,000 since the beginning of the school year.
The West Virginia Public Employees Day Care at the Capitol Complex and the Shawnee and Elk Center Elementary daycares are scheduled to close March 30. They employ a total 40 workers.
The school system's Community Education Program operates the daycares, along with 21 after school and four before school programs.