WV Public Broadcasting Staff
Most Active Stories
- Map: Where West Virginia Mine Operators Owe Millions in Delinquent Fines
- Industry Backed Bill Could Force Mineral Owners to Sell
- Joy to the World Tickets On Sale
- Moundsville Native Is A Pioneering Astrobiophysicist
- Appalachian Holiday Traditions of Food and Spirits, With Recipes on How to Cook with Bourbon, & More
Holbrook to take SC post
Fri March 21, 2014
Huntington Police Chief Resigns
Huntington Police Chief Skip Holbrook announced his resignation this morning.
Holbrook will take over the same position in Columbia, South Carolina, a city with a population over 130,000. Holbrook said he sees many similarities between the two jobs.
It starts at the top and the common similarity I saw here is they have tremendous officers, they have a tremendous management staff that were stymied or handcuffed and were not allowed or had the capacity to move the department in a certain direction,” Holbrook said.
Since taking over in 2007 Skip Holbrook has revitalized the Huntington Police Department and helped clean up neighborhoods and put a dent in the fight against drugs in the area. Holbrook leaves a department with a $12 million budget and will take over a department with 460 employees and a budget at nearly 32 million. Holbrook’s departure is effective April 7th. Huntington officials will form a committee to begin the search for Holbrook’s replacement.