WV Public Broadcasting Staff
Most Active Stories
- Racist Hate Crime Shakes Hillsboro Community into Action to Spread Message of Tolerance
- W.Va. Nurse Develops New Blood Test to Identify What Kind of Stroke You’re Having
- Part I: Is There Something in the Water, Southern W.Va.?
- WATCH: Gov. Tomblin's 2015 State of the State Address
- Hog Farming on Inactive Mountaintop Removal Sites Could Bring More Jobs to Southern W.Va.
Sun April 20, 2014
High School Wrestling Team T-shirts Questioned
Wood County school officials have asked their lawyers to review a wrestling team's T-shirts that bear a Bible verse on the back.
Superintendent Pat Law said the Wisconsin-based Freedom from Religion Foundation complained about the Parkersburg South High School team's T-shirts to school officials.
The verse states, "I can do all things through Him that strengthens me."
Law said the group's complaint alleges that the shirts violate the federal separation of church and state.
Law said school officials don't want to infringe on anyone's right to practice their religion. But he says courts repeatedly have said public institutions such as schools can't promote a religion.
Attorney Bill Merriman represents one of the wrestlers and his parents. He said wrestlers' parents bought the T-shirts.