WV Public Broadcasting Staff
Most Active Stories
- Local Food, Local Places Grants Awarded, Eight Appalachian Winners
- Motives Behind Mon. Co. Shootings Unfolding, Victims Identified
- Map: Where West Virginia Mine Operators Owe Millions in Delinquent Fines
- Clinical Pharmacologist Left Duke to Conduct World-Class Research at WVU
- W.Va. Poet: “Appalachian Blackface” Story of 2014 Election Cycle
Wed January 22, 2014
Gov. Tomblin Unaware of Freedom Industries Donations
Gov. Earl Ray Tomblin says he was unaware he received campaign checks from top executives at the company at the center of West Virginia's chemical spill.
The Democrat said he found about donations from two Freedom Industries executives from news articles Wednesday morning.
J. Clifford Forrest, who runs Freedom's parent company, gave Tomblin's campaign $500 in 2011 and $500 in 2012. Dennis Farrell, another Freedom executive, gave $500 total to Tomblin in 2011.
W.Va. Congresswoman Shelley Moore Capito received $500 from Forrest last February for her current US Senate bid. US Sen. Joe Manchin received $1,000 from Forrest for his 2008 run for governor. Both are giving the money to West Virginia charities.
The Freedom donations make up a sliver of the millions of dollars raised for each respective campaign.
House of Delegates