WV Public Broadcasting Staff
Most Active Stories
- Racist Hate Crime Shakes Hillsboro Community into Action to Spread Message of Tolerance
- Haunting Banjo Tune Inspired by Coal Miner's Struggle
- Hog Farming on Inactive Mountaintop Removal Sites Could Bring More Jobs to Southern W.Va.
- Inside Appalachia: Water in the Coalfields
- W.Va. Bicyclist Charged With Operating Backpack Meth Lab
Pavarotti: A Voice for the Ages
Tue December 3, 2013
Celebrate the life and 50-year career of Luciano Pavarotti
The late great tenor in some of his finest performances and in duet with Sting, Bono, Eric Clapton, and The Three Tenors
Watch Pavarotti: A Voice for the Ages from Great Performances on Tuesday, Dec. 3 at 9:30 p.m. on WV PBS.
Like Enrico Caruso before him, Luciano Pavarotti extended his presence far beyond the limits of Italian opera. Quickly establishing his trademark rich sound as the great male operatic voice of the 20th century, he expanded his reach to stadium concerts and pop collaborations which brought him fame beyond measure. The 50th anniversary of the launch of Pavarotti’s of meteoric international career is celebrated in Pavarotti: A Voice for the Ages.
This one-hour program includes "Nessun Dorma" and other beloved arias from “La Boheme,” “Rigoletto” and “Aida;” Neapolitan songs in arrangements by Henry Mancini including “Mamma” and “La mia canzone al vento,” and audience favorites “O Sole Mio” and "Torna a surriento;" as well as popular duets with Bono, Sting, and Eric Clapton.
The full musical program follows below:
- "Che gelida manina" (La Boheme first recording, 1965 Modena performance and first “Live From the Met” broadcast)
- "La donna e mobile" Rigoletto film
- “Celeste Aida" (Aida) (performed in concert at the Metropolitan Opera)
- “Mamma” (Madison Square Garden – 1984)
- “Donna non vidi mai” (Manon Lescaut) (Hyde Park)
- “Nessun Dorma” (Turandot) (Central Park)
- “Miss Sarajevo” (with Bono/Pavarotti & Friends)
- “Holy Mother” (with Eric Clapton/Pavarotti & Friends)
- “A Vucchella” (Barcelona recital)
- “O Sole Mio” (Three Tenors in Rome)
- "Non ti scordar di me"
- "La mia canzone al vento"
- “Panis Angelicus” (Sting)
- “Torna a surriento” (Three Tenors/Naples)
- "la Danza"